Press "Enter" to skip to content

Man gets 33 years in 2017 Vancouver shooting, robbery

A man who was convicted in a 2017 Vancouver shooting and robbery was sentenced Tuesday in Clark County Superior Court to 33 years in prison.

A jury on Oct. 29 found Isaac Depre Frazier, 24, guilty on several counts following a weeklong trial. Frazier was convicted of assault and robbery, both in the first degree; weapons charges; first-degree burglary; and three counts of tampering with a witness.

Vancouver police were called around 8:25 p.m. Dec. 3, 2017, to a shooting at 4604 N.E. 132nd Place. The victim, Auston Dunn, suffered a single gunshot wound to his leg and scrotum, according to an affidavit of probable cause.

Officers first to arrive on scene saw a man, Jefferson Lopez, walking away from the residence. Lopez told police he went to the house with Frazier, who pulled out a handgun to rob Dunn of his marijuana and money, the affidavit said.

Lopez took Dunn’s 1-year-old son into a back bedroom. After hearing a gunshot, he came out to find Dunn with a gunshot wound to his leg, the affidavit said.

Dunn told detectives in an interview at the hospital that Lopez came to his house with Frazier, whom he only knew as “Ike.” Frazier pulled out two handguns from his waistband and held one in each hand before demanding the items from Dunn, who refused, according to court documents.

Frazier struck Dunn twice on the side of his head before shooting him in his right leg, according to the affidavit. Frazier pointed one of the handguns at Dunn’s head and pulled the trigger several times, but it did not fire, the affidavit said.

Frazier then went into Dunn’s bedroom and stole several items, including a watch and several knives and swords, according to the affidavit.

Upon hearing the disturbance and entering the house, Riley Wynn, Dunn’s girlfriend, saw Frazier with two handguns — one pointed at Dunn and the other at Lopez, according to court records. She went to the garage to call 911 and heard gunshots.

Wynn re-entered the house, where Frazier took her cellphone, she said, and ordered her back to the garage, court documents state. Frazier fled before police arrived.

Frazier was arrested without incident four weeks later after he was identified while he was a passenger in a vehicle stopped by Vancouver police.

On Jan. 21, jail deputies reported that several cell searches turned up notes in which Frazier asked three fellow inmates to intimidate Dunn and Wynn into not testifying at trial, according to court records. Detectives used a notebook found in Frazier’s cell to compare with the handwritten notes, concluding the writing was similar, the affidavit said.

When his trial began, Frazier faced a charge of first-degree attempted murder, but it was dismissed mid-trial. The victim, Dunn, had died — unrelated to the crimes — since Frazier was charged, so there was no victim testimony to support the allegations, Senior Deputy Prosecutor Kasey Vu said.

While the jury found Frazier not guilty of the first-degree robbery charge tied to Dunn, he was convicted of the same charge for the second victim, Wynn. Jurors also found Frazier not guilty of two counts of unlawful possession of a firearm, because they found he did not use a gun during a Nov. 28, 2017, break-in at Dunn’s home.

During sentencing Tuesday, Vu asked Judge Jennifer Snider to impose a 41 1/2 -year sentence. Whitney Hawke, Frazier’s court-appointed defense attorney, requested a 20-year punishment.

Craig Dunn, Auston Dunn’s father, spoke during the hearing. He said his son did not have money at the time of the robbery because he had already paid him for rent.

“My son was telling you the truth that he had no money at all,” Craig Dunn said while looking at Frazier. “It could have been a lot worse. I just can’t believe it.”

Associates of Auston Dunn’s are concerned for their safety due to Frazier’s connections outside of jail, Craig Dunn said.

As was common during the trial, Frazier spoke up — unprompted — several times Tuesday. He was not present in the courtroom for most of his trial, as he repeatedly recited sovereign citizen rhetoric. He argued he is a corporation and could not be charged with a crime, and the parties were holding fraudulent court proceedings.

Frazier waived his right to be present at trial, according to court documents, and watched most of the proceedings from a separate location.

Despite numerous pleas from Snider and his attorneys, Frazier continued with the refrains throughout Tuesday’s hearing. Among Frazier’s complaints were his court-appointed lawyers and his distrust of the court system.

“It’s fraud. I’m going to sue you,” Frazier told Snider. “I’m not the defendant. I own the defendant. That’s my property.”

Frazier refused to sign court documents and would not give his fingerprints. The judge then ordered Frazier be taken to a separate location for fingerprinting.



Be First to Comment

    Leave a Reply

    %d bloggers like this: