Today is Election Day, but it’s not too late to register to vote.
Anyone not registered but interested in taking part in today’s election can visit the Clark County Elections office, 1408 Franklin St., Vancouver, and fill out a form by 8 p.m., according to Clark County Auditor Greg Kimsey. Anyone interested in same-day registration must provide their driver’s license number or the last four digits of their Social Security number, Kimsey added.
This is the second election where voters can register on Election Day. During the August primary, eight people registered to vote on Election Day at the elections office, Kimsey said.
As of Monday, voters had returned 14.53 percent of ballots mailed out in Clark County. Kimsey said ballot returns got off to a slow start but have picked up.
He said elections officials are predicting a 25 percent turnout once all the ballots are tallied.
“We were pleased last week that we started seeing relatively good returns,” Kimsey said. “It’s unusual. We generally see a third of the ballots about a week after we mail them out.”
Ballots were mailed Oct. 18. A bit more than 16,600 ballots were returned that first week. Nearly double that amount of ballots has come in since, according to ballot returns from the county elections office.
Kimsey said if people are still interested in sending in a ballot, they should bring it to a drop-off box. There are seven permanent 24-hour, drive-up drop-off boxes around Clark County:
• Battle Ground City Hall parking lot, 109 S.W. First St.
• Downtown Camas Post Office, 440 N.E. Fifth Ave.
• Downtown Vancouver, West 14th and Esther streets.
• Ridgefield, Pioneer Street exit and east of Interstate 5 at the end of North First Circle.
• Fisher’s Landing Transit Center, 3510 S.E. 164th Ave., Vancouver.
• 99th Street Transit Center, 9700 N.E. Seventh Ave., Vancouver.
• Vancouver Mall parking lot, southeast of Macy’s near the C-Tran Vine Station.
Additionally, the Clark County Elections office will be open on Election Day from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. and the map above shows the location of temporary drop boxes only available on Election Day.