Press "Enter" to skip to content

Vent malfunction sparked Salmon Creek attic fire

A malfunctioning bathroom fan caused a fire at a North Salmon Creek house on Monday, according to the Clark County Fire Marshal’s Office.

The vent failure sent sparks through ventilation ducts and up to the attic, which ignited the fire, Deputy Fire Marshal Caleb Barnes said.

The home’s occupant “saw a blob of burning plastic on the floor of the bathroom and smelled smoke,” Barnes said.

Clark County Fire District 6 was dispatched at 3:36 p.m. to 13105 N.E. Sixth Court. After arriving eight minutes later, firefighters found a working fire in the attic, Fire District 6 Battalion Chief Bryan Baum told The Columbian.

The fire was extinguished within 10 minutes and mostly contained to the attic, Baum said. No injuries were reported. Three engines and a squad car from Fire District 6 and one Vancouver Fire Department ladder truck responded.

“Fire District 6 did a quick and great job,” Barnes said. “It could have been a lot worse.”

A few trusses in the attic were scorched, but the burn damage did not extend much beyond a small area, the deputy fire marshal said. There is smoke damage to the home, however. Barnes did not have a monetary estimate for the damage.


Source: https://www.columbian.com

Be First to Comment

    Leave a Reply

    %d bloggers like this: