Press "Enter" to skip to content

Battle Ground house fire causes $450K worth of damage, displaces 4

A fire on Monday caused extensive damage to a house in Battle Ground, according to the fire marshal for Clark County Fire District 3.

Crews from the fire district and Clark County Fire & Rescue were dispatched at 10:05 a.m. to the 1200 block of Northwest 19th Court for a residential fire.

The first arriving crews discovered that the blaze had already spread into the attic of the home, which the fire district said “can be some of the most challenging fires to extinguish.”

Multiple units brought the fire under control in about 40 minutes. The blaze caused major damage to the ranch-style house, Fire Marshal Chris Drone said. There was about $450,000 worth of damage to the house and its contents, Drone said.

No injuries were reported. The Red Cross responded to assist four people who were displaced.

Drone determined that the fire was accidental, and it started outside of the house before spreading to the attic. He did not say what sparked the flames, but he mentioned extinguishing cigarette butts in a metal ashtray or bucket with sand, “away from anything that can burn.”

“Put cigarettes out all the way. Do this every time. Don’t walk away from lit cigarettes and other smoking materials. Put water on the ashes and butts to make sure they are really out before you put them in the trash,” he said.



Be First to Comment

    Leave a Reply

    %d bloggers like this: