A 38-year-old man who stands accused of driving his car into the entrance of an east Minnehaha Safeway allegedly told police he did so out of frustration.
Raymond A. Gonzales was arrested May 12 on suspicion of first-degree malicious mischief. During a first appearance Wednesday, Clark County Superior Court Judge Suzan Clark set Gonzales’ bail at $5,000, court records show.
Clark County sheriff’s deputies responded to the grocery store at 6711 N.E. 63rd Ave., for reports of a vehicle that crashed into the front doors. A man, later identified as Gonzales, was walking away, according to an affidavit of probable cause.
However, when deputies arrived, Gonzales was still near his vehicle. He told deputies he had been going back and forth among Washington, Oregon and California as he’d split up with his wife. He said he’s now homeless and was trying to sleep in the store’s parking lot near the front doors, according to the affidavit.
Multiple people came up to his driver’s side window, knocked and ordered him to wake up and move along, Gonzales told deputies.
Gonzales said he “got fed up,” so he put his car into drive and accelerated into the entrance. He stated, “I’m hungry, tired of being out here with no help” and added that he “doesn’t care anymore, take me to prison,” the affidavit says.
An arraignment hearing in the case has been scheduled for May 27.