Press "Enter" to skip to content

Backyard fireplace causes propane bottle explosion in Salmon Creek

Firefighters responded Sunday night to a house in Salmon Creek after a propane bottle that was part of an outdoor fireplace exploded.

A Clark County Fire District 6 engine was called at 11:36 p.m. to 14111 N.W. 23rd Court for a structure fire and explosion.

Firefighters arrived to a two-story home with light smoke showing from the back of the house. The homeowner was in the backyard putting water on a propane bottle, Fire District 6 spokesman Dave Schmitke said.

The homeowner had built a fireplace with a brick mantel. She started the fire, went inside and moments later heard a loud explosion. She ran outside and said she saw fire shooting out of the propane bottle, Schmitke said.

The fire apparently heated the brick, which then slowly heated the propane bottle, he said. It blew its release valve and vented until it was empty.

Schmitke said the fire was self-contained, and there was no damage to the home.


Source: https://www.columbian.com

Be First to Comment

    Leave a Reply

    %d bloggers like this: