Press "Enter" to skip to content

Sifton area house fire caused by unattended stove

A Sifton area house fire that displaced five people and killed a dog was caused by an unattended stove, according to the Clark County Fire Marshal’s Office.

Deputy Fire Marshal Jason Knoble said he determined the fire was ignited by a burner left on with a pan on top of it.

A father and son had left for work, but there were two young adults in the home when the fire started; they were awoken by smoke filling the house, which did not have working smoke detectors, Knoble said.

The young adults were able to escape, but a dog was killed, according to the deputy fire marshal.

Knoble did not have a monetary estimate for the damage caused by the fire.

The Vancouver Fire Department was dispatched at 8:43 a.m. to the single-story house at 14317 N.E. 99th St.

The first engine arrived within five minutes as heavy smoke and flames poured from the front and rear of the structure, according to a fire department news release. Firefighters stretched hose lines to attack the fire from the outside before making their way inside.

Ceiling heat caused some difficulty as firefighters attempted to access flames in the attic, the department said. The fire was extinguished in 24 minutes.

No one was injured. The Red Cross is helping the displaced residents.


Source: https://www.columbian.com

Be First to Comment

    Leave a Reply

    %d bloggers like this: