Press "Enter" to skip to content

Items in north Clark County shop damaged by smoke due to electrical failure

An electrical-cord failure prompted a large response early Friday morning from Clark County Fire District 10, but the incident resulted only in smoke damage.

Fire crews were dispatched at 2:19 a.m. to 17105 N.E. Fargher Lake Highway in north Clark County for a report of a residential structure fire.

Firefighters believed they were responding to a severe fire based on initial information, and the first arriving crew found a shop with an apartment above it filled with heavy smoke, Assistant Fire Chief Gordon Brooks said.

Four engines and three water tenders responded to the shop. Fire districts 3 and 13, as well as Clark County Fire & Rescue were also called in to help, Brooks said. However, there was no real fire to speak of, and the shop was not damaged.

Items in the shops were damaged by smoke, according to the assistant fire chief.

The entire response lasted about 10 minutes, he said.

Despite the minor nature of the incident, Brooks said it’s a good reminder for people to be careful about how they organize electrical cords and heating systems with warmer weather approaching.

The assistant chief advised people to plug cords and electronics directly into a wall and to not use multiple extension cords, if possible.

“We see it every spring: fires caused by people improvising heating and lighting equipment,” Brooks said.


Source: https://www.columbian.com

Be First to Comment

    Leave a Reply

    %d bloggers like this: