Press "Enter" to skip to content

Death of young Woodland man helps six other people to live

LONGVIEW — A young Woodland man who died last week after he was struck by a car will live on through six organ recipients.

Noah A. Gray, 18, was struck by a car on Feb. 2 near Horseshoe Lake in Woodland and died four days later from his injuries. He donated seven organs to six people following his death on Feb. 6, his mother, Jackie Teel, said Wednesday.

Gray attended Team High School in Woodland, Teel said. He was a people person and an outdoorsy kid who loved to skateboard and play sports, including baseball, basketball and football.

Her son “made friends wherever he went,” Teel said. “He was very compassionate and would help people through difficult situations.”

He previously lived in Longview and had friends in both cities. Dozens of kids visited him in the hospital while he was on life support, telling stories, crying, laughing and otherwise trying to make sense of what happened, his mother said.

A memorial will be held at the Cowlitz County Event Center at 2 p.m. Saturday. Gray ran his own clothing line, his mother said, and some of his designed clothes with his picture added will be printed for the ceremony.

He’ll have people there from all walks of life who loved him, Teel said, including his pastor, his parole officer and his counselor.

While Gray could be a difficult teenager, he was also very encouraging and “a light” for other people, Teel said.

“He wanted to see the best, not only for himself but for other people.”

At about 7:35 p.m. on Feb. 2, deputies and emergency medical personnel responded to a report that a pedestrian — later identified as Gray — was struck by a vehicle in the 38000 block of Northwest Lakeshore Drive.

The 19-year-old Longview driver of a Volkswagen Jetta struck Gray after he stepped into the path of the southbound vehicle, deputies determined.

Gray was found critically injured and lying in the roadway. He was sent to an area hospital before dying of his injuries.

The driver and his female passenger stayed on scene to assist deputies. They have continued to cooperate with investigators, and no criminal charges have been recommended by the sheriff’s office so far, according to a news release.

Gray was not carrying identification at the time, which delayed deputies from notifying family of his death.

Clark County sheriff’s Sgt. Brent Waddell said the case is still an active investigation. Anyone with more information can contact lead detective Ryan Preston at


Be First to Comment

    Leave a Reply

    %d bloggers like this: